The Boy Scouts of America has provided a comprehensive youth development program for communities across America since 1910.
The Northern Lights Council is chartered by the National Council, Boy Scouts of America to administer BSA programs within our assigned territory, which covers the entire state of North Dakota, 18 counties in northwest Minnesota, and 2 counties each in Montana and South Dakota. The council was incorporated in 1974 following a merger of four Boy Scout Councils in North Dakota and northwestern Minnesota.
You can find out more about local districts and offices by zooming in and clicking on sections of the map below.
The Boy Scouts of America is the nation’s foremost youth program of character development and values-based leadership training. In the future, Scouting will continue to:
- Offer young people responsible fun and adventure;
- Instill in young people lifetime values and develop in them ethical character as expressed in the Scout Oath and Law;
- Train young people in citizenship, service and leadership;
- Serve America’s communities and families with its quality, values-based program.
Scout Law: A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.
The Northern Lights Council is proud to be a partner agency with these United Way affiliates:
Council Executive Board
The Northern Lights Council Executive Board is elected annually by the Council members at large and Chartered Organization Representatives. The Executive Board is the governing body of the council territory, empowered by the council body to act in its stead. It takes action to achieve the purposes of the local council. It establishes the council program, carries out resolutions, establishes and enforces policy and hires a Scout Executive, all according to guidelines of the Council Body.
Among its responsibilities are:
- Exercises all powers of the council body between meetings of the council. This does not include authority to change or amend the articles of incorporation.
- Approves the program and plans of various committees.
- Selects and employs a council Scout Executive when a vacancy occurs.
- Approves and administers a budget adequate to achieve the objectives of Scouting.
- Coordinates and supports the work of districts in various phases of Council Program and works to build strong district organizations.
- Raises the dollars necessary to carry out a full Scouting Program in the Council.
All meetings start at 8:00 AM (central) unless otherwise noted.
Board and Executive Committee members may attend:
- In person at the Wanzek Center for Scouting in Fargo or Capital Credit Union Scout Center in Bismarck unless otherwise noted
- Remotely by using Go to Meeting video conferencing or by telephone call
Executive Board Meeting Dates
- Friday, August 19, 2022
- Friday, October 21, 2022
- Saturday, December 10, 2021
- Executive Board & District Key 3 Retreat
Executive Committee Meeting Dates
- Friday, June 17, 2022
- Friday, September 16, 2022
- Friday, November 18, 2022
|Council President||Tim Tello, Bismarck|
|Council Commissioner||Steve Shark, Fargo|
|Scout Executive/Secretary (non-voting member)||Richard McCartney, Fargo|
|Council Vice President & President-Elect||David Johnson, Fargo|
|Council Treasurer||John Huettl, Minot|
|Council Assistant Treasurer||Lisa Yoney, Fargo|
|Vice-President Administration||Brad Ballweber, Bismarck|
|Vice-President Development||Doug Restemayer, Fargo|
|Vice-President District Operations||Mike Briggs, Bismarck|
|Vice-President Marketing||Shawn Johnston, Fargo|
|Vice-President Membership||Morgan Forness, Casselton|
|Vice-President Program||Jim Blotsky, Fargo|
|Vice-President Endowment||Tim Sayler, Detroit Lakes|
|Vice-President At Large||David Sprynczynatyk, Bismarck|
|Council Legal Counsel||John Boulger, Fargo|
Executive Board Members
Brad Ballweber, Bismarck
* Dave Beito, Thief River Falls
Jim Blotsky, Fargo
John Boulger, Fargo
Michael Briggs, Bismarck
Cameron Carlson, Thief River Falls
* Aaron Cofell, Bismarck
Adj Gen Al Dohrmann, Bismarck
Ryan Eagle, Fargo
Richard Espeland, Bismarck
Jay Feil, Mandan
Morgan Forness, Casselton
Steve Gander, East Grand Forks
Kathryn Hinds, Moorhead
John Huettl, Minot
Thomas Jefferson, Fargo
Jon Jensen, Bismarck
David Johnson, Fargo
Shawn Johnston, Fargo
Julie Lawyer, Bismarck
Mike Lepine, Fargo
Ralph J. Llewellyn, Fargo
Mark Malmberg, Oakes
Larry Maslowski, Bismarck
Joan McCusker, Fargo
Todd Medd, Fargo
Lisa Meier, Bismarck
Richard P. Olson, Minot
Nicholas Paulsen, Alexandria
Ty Pritchard, Fargo
Kent Reierson, Williston
Doug Restemayer, Fargo
* Jonathan Rosenthal, Minot
Brittany Sachdeva, Fargo
Dale Sandstrom, Bismarck
Tim Sayler, Fargo
Ed Schafer, Fargo
Tamie Schmidt, Bismarck
Ronald Schneider, Moorhead
Steve Shark, Fargo
Todd Simison, Detroit Lakes
Steve Smith, Fargo
David Sprynczynatyk, Bismarck
Tim Tello, Bismarck
Alex Vournas, Williston
Barry Wilfahrt, Grand Forks
Drew Wrigley, Bismarck
Lisa Yoney, Fargo
* District Chairman and ** Order of the Arrow Lodge Chief (youth) are members of the Executive Board by position