Scouting for Food is the largest community service food drive in our area involving Cub Scouts, Scouts, Venturers and Explorers.
Your unit should participate in the Council’s Scouting for Food community service project and let your local area know about this service project to help your local community food banks. Let’s all work together and make this year’s effort even more successful than last year’s and collect more than 85,000 pounds of food across the Northern Lights Council!
How do current health safety concerns affect Scouting for Food?
We need to keep our community and Scouts safe. If the plan for the Scouting for Food campaign is followed, minimal risk is involved:
- Use Door Hangers – from March 13-19, 2021, Scouts to go door to door in assigned areas to deliver door hangers that have instructions for how people can donate. There is no contact or interaction between the resident and the Scout.
- The door hanger has instructions stating – “Please place food items in your own paper or plastic bag and place food outside of your front door this coming Saturday morning by 9:00 am for the Scouts to pick-up. If we miss you, please bring the food items to your local food pantry or Gate City Bank by March 31.”
- Scouts return on March 20, 2021 to pick up food items that have been left by the door. They should not knock on doors or go inside to collect food – therefore no contact is made with the resident.
Help us gather results and get patches to your unit:
- By March 29, 2021, record your Scouting for Food results here.
- Scouting for Food Patches will be distributed once the council has received your report.
- Have fun! Take pictures. The Scouting for Food community service project is the perfect opportunity to let your community know about your unit. Leave a unit flyer or thank you note with the door hangers, take pictures and submit them to your local newspapers.
Thank you for your unit’s participation in this very important community service project. If you have questions contact your local District Scouting for Food coordinator or District Executive.