June 9-13, 2023
Butler Wilderness Outpost – Park Rapids, MN
NYLT is an exciting, action-packed program designed to provide youth members with leadership skills and experience they can use in their home troops and in other situations demanding leadership of self and others. The NYLT course centers around the concepts of what a leader must BE, what they must KNOW, and what they must DO. The key elements are then taught with a clear focus on HOW TO. The skills come alive during the week as the patrol goes on a Quest for the Meaning of Leadership.
The course will begin promptly at 8:00 AM on Friday, June 9 and conclude at 5:00 PM on Tuesday, June 13. It is suggested that Scouts arrive the evening of Thursday, June 8. The council is currently working on a shuttle with stops in Minot, Bismarck, and Fargo on the way there and back, departing on Thursday, June 8 and arriving on Wednesday, June 14.
NYLT is a five-day course. Content is delivered in a troop and patrol outdoor setting with an emphasis on immediate application of learning in a fun environment. Interconnecting concepts and work processes are introduced early, built upon, and aided by the use of memory aids, which allows participants to understand and employ the leadership skills much faster.
Youth Participant Requirements
In order to attend a NYLT course, a youth must have the following qualifications by the beginning of the course:
- Must be a registered member of a Scouting unit.
- Must have a current BSA Health and Medical Record form parts A, B, and C.
- Scouts BSA members (male and female) must be at least 13.
- Must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Troops.
- Must have earned the First Class rank before attending NYLT.
- Venturers and Sea Scouts (male and female) must be at least 14, or 13 and have completed eighth grade, and fall within the maximum age allowance for their program. They must have completed Introduction to Leadership Skills for Crews or Ships. It is recommended that they have had at least one year of camping experience. While NYLT is not an outdoor skills course, it is important that each participant have basic camping and outdoor cooking experience.
- Have a unit leader recommendation.
Campership assistance is available to help with costs. Click here for more info.
Download the flyer below and share it with Scouts from your troop or with leaders from other troops you know that might be interested!
Interested in Staffing?
Email Course Director Kristina Badgely and let her know what type of position you may be interested in! These include:
ASPL (Service or Program)
Assistant Course Director (Service or Program)